Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Back On Track

Today I saw my orthodontist for the first time post-surg and got all my surgical hooks taken off and two power bands put on all my teeth top & bottom. He was supposed to put the hooks that I'm still using for night time bands back on, but he forgot. So, I'm gonna call my Oral Surgeon and ask if I should go back, or not worry about it. I also asked him when I can go to the dentist and get my teeth cleaned, because I've got rreally embarrasing stains from the Peridex mouth wash, and I'm eager to get them cleaned off. Maybe he was bored, or just sympathetic, but he filed off some of the stain, my teeth look a lot better just with a little bit removed. It made me a little nervous, but I'm just protective of my enamel. I love my soda, so I don't need any help taking enamel off, thanks. ;P My teeth are HURTING!

I drove past dentist on my way home, so I decided to just drop by and make my appointment. I see them Thursday.

Well, it's almost week 7! I've been "chewing" for almost a week, now. I'm very gentle, but excited about my new chewing ability. The mechanics of my face are a little discouraging. My top lip is so tight and doesn't really move when I smile, my open mouth smile looks weird. Like Cindy Lou Who or something.
My face is still swollen. I'm just wondering when will this go awaay.
I still have the "overbite" now. I'm kinda wondering when my top jaw will "move back a little" like the surgeons said it would.
And my nose. Ugh. My dad, for some werid reason, LOVES it. I have the opposite feelings. it's puffy, and gets really wide whenever I smile, especially when I smile "open mouth". I'm kinda hoping it well go back to normal once my face deflates and loosens up. I just wish I had a timeline when I know all this would be done with.

And today's recovery pic:

4 comments:

holski said...

Hey Kam,
Just wanted to pop in to say thank you for all of your comments/support. It is so comforting to know that someone else is dealing with the identity stuff. I think you look great by the way. You do look different. After a lot of thought, I've decided the most dramatic changes in appearance come with advancement of the upper jaw. Anyway, I'm rambling as usual. I hope everything works out just the way you want it to. =) I will of course keep checking your blog daily!

Valerie Phoenixfire said...

There's that smile. :)

Michelle said...

Hey Kam!

I'm glad to hear you're recovering on schedule. And you're eating soft foods, now! I'm sure that's a huge relief!

I'm also glad to see you smiling. I hope all is well!

:0)
M

Dragon (Karen) said...

Kam I think your pics look awesome and I think I agree with your Dad ... well at least from the pics you show on this blog. Here's hoping you soon get to a place where you're just as thrilled with how you look!

Here's to your progress continuing to go well!