Thursday, October 23, 2008

A question for those who have had upper jaw surgery (Lefort 1)

I am at 13 weeks today. These are the "problems" I'm still having and I want to know if these are similar to anyone else who has had upper jaw advancement. Theses are things I haven't heard discussed much, so I hope I'm not alone.

- The roof of my mouth is still sensitive. If I put pressure on it (with my tounge or something) It feels almost like there is a soft spot it kind of feels "ticklish" and it makes the inside of my nostril feel itchy.

- The muscles in my mid face are still twitchy. When I try to wrinkle my nose it spasms and feels uncomfortable.

- I don't think my incision has fully healed yet. it feels fine on the sides, but the area in the front of my mouth looks a little.. strange. I'm not sure if it's normal, or there just wasn't the best job done on my stitches, but here's a picture to describe what I mean. Only in the front, it looks like there are little pockets or something. It also feels irritated when the doctors slide their finger around it (like it gets in and slices across the "pockets")


-Also as far as everthing goes, the right side of my face is SOO much better than the left. Everything is less swollen, but even stranger, I can eat better on that side, whereas on the left, it still feels strange to eat on that side at all.

That's all!! (for now, haha) Pleaase share any insight on how your healing was at 13 weeks. Thanks guys!

6 comments:

cookieyum said...

I think you need to show this blog statement to your OS and see what they say. And when they ask you if your happy with your new look, tell them no and tell them why. They are the ones that would have the best answers.
Mo-Mo

Kam said...

It's not that I'm unhappy with my new look anymore, I know I have to wait 6 months before everything evens out, and maybe even a year for my nose to.

It's just the inside of my mouth I'm worried about, not so much about the aesthetics.

holski said...

Hey Kam,
Here's what I experienced at around the 13 week mark...

The roof of my mouth was definitely sensitive, especially when I was drinking hot or cold drinks... and every time I used a straw, or if there was some suction... it was like I could feel liquid in my sinuses moving around and going down my throat... overall, it was weird and totally new. It felt like the roof of my mouth was thinner than it used to be or something... maybe that had something to do with the 3 peice lefort. who knows.

My nostrils were not itchy.

No spasms in my nose when I wrinckled it, but definitly lots of spasms in my tm joints.

I didn't as many "pockets" in my gums the first time around.. just one really on the bottom right. This time, I have pockets all along the top and bottoms and they irritate me to no end. I think it definitely has to do with how the surgeon stitches you up (in my case, I think it was a lot harder to stitch me up nicely since it was a revision surgeon and there was less skin available/more scar tissue. My surgeon said they will be much less irritating after braces are off, since they get in the way when trying to brush.

It felt much better to eat on the right side at 13 weeks (until surg #2) and it's the same now.. it's like that side just feels stronger and less numb. (It was also the side I always used to eat with due to some sensitive teeth on my left side).

phewf. I'm rambling! I hope this helps a little. =)

Anonymous said...

I can only comment on the one side of myu face being better than the other: my right side took way longer to deflate than the left. apparently it happens quite a lot.

mylene

holski said...

I miss Kam updates! =)

Katherine said...

Kam,
I am only 12 days out from upper lower to treat a class II. I, too, have some weird fleshy remants of stitches in the center of my upper gums. the flesh kinda dangles a bit. These 2 stitched fell out early, too. My OS was totally not concerned about it, and my guess is once my surgical lugs are removed there will be less irritation. Kinda like what Holly said.

The OS did say something about front stitches "usually bothering" people. Hmpf.