Friday, August 1, 2008

Week and a Day

Today has been good.

I woke up a little early than I wanted, with a major headache. I think caused from all the tension of my bands. So, I took my antibiotic. And since I can't stand that codine stuff, and I have magic pill swallowing powers (once I get them past the teeth/band blockade, that is) I took two ibuprofen.
Breakfast was and a pretty much a kinda-failed attempt at a summer squash, zuchinni, onion, and spinach soup/thing. They're some of my favorite veggies, and I love them cooked together, so I figured, add vegetable broth and blend. Meh. It was pretty bland, and hard to eat without syringe aid. However, I separated it in little batches, tried one with a little soy sauce added, tried some with a little mayo added. I ate a lot of it, but I was just tooo tired and full to experiment anymore. So sad. I had such high expectations for it, I just don't know where I went wrong.
On the subject of eating, I'm still having trouble swallowing, like now, whenever I swallow it feels like what ever I swallow is going to come out my nose or something. It doesn't, but it feels like it will. I'm thinking because there's still not a lot of space in my mouth.. I dunno. it's weird.

Anyway, after that it was shower time. I've been trying to take a lot of showers, somehow hoping that some of the swelling will leave my face via steam osmosis or something. And this was the first REAL shower I took since surgery. I say real shower as in, i was the first one I took that I even dared to use my face scrub, I didn't have to sit down, and I didn't have to be so careful washing my hair. (The only thing I'm having trouble with right now is comfortably tilting my head back. My neck isn't stiff or anything, it's just tight around my face and kinda uncomfortable moving my head around.)

I think I'm looking pretty normal now. My nose is still a little swollen and kinda like a fake rubber nose. The right side of my face is looking pretty good, still a little swollen, but the bruises aren't very noticeable on that side. The left is more swollen than the right, and the bruises are still pretty noticeable. Weird how the healing works.
I'm really excited to see where I'll be on the 5th, that's my next OS appointment. I'm eager to share with my doctors the progress.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I added bay leaves to my soups and let them simmer for flavor. I found that if you over season your food a bit, it comes out better once blended. That way, nothing is too blah. Well, your swelling is looking great. Are you using your heat sock? I laid that sucker across my face for about two hours a day off and on. Anywhoo, Happy Friday!

Valerie Phoenixfire said...

You're looking great. :)

lotti said...

Hi there,
this is Lotti. First of all, congratulations: you already passed the first week! I'll have my upper and lower jaw surgery next Wednesday (the 6th) and I am trying to write down a wish list for the post surgery process: did you end up using the "sippy sack" bags? and the jaw wrap? Is there anything made you feel better that you would recommend to me? I've just started my own blog if you want to look at it tis is the link: http://lotti-jawsurgery.blogspot.com/ thank you very much

Michelle said...

You're looking good, Kam!! Sorry your little experiment didn't work out this time. Hang in there, though. Hopefully, you'll make that perfect dish soon!

:0)
M

Lori G. said...

Hi Kam,

My computer has been down. My worse day was day 4. I felt sick to my stomach, dizzy and out of it. I called the surgeons office and they had me stop the pain meds and switch to ibuprofen. What a difference. By day 6 I was a new person. It looks like your swelling is coming down nicely. I'm also having trouble finding things that taste good. The best thing I had was some tomato basil soup. If I find anything that is tasty, I'll pass it along.

lotti said...

I'll have my parents coming next week to help us out. And they are coming directly from Italy! As soon as I knew the date of the surgery I called them, and even if the flight is long and expensive they have two good reasons to come here: their daughter's surgery and their lovely granddaughter that they do not have many chances to see.
BTW one more day is gone and today is one week and two days! Congrats