Sunday, July 13, 2008

My fear

It's not the jaw surgery I'm most afraid of....

It's the chin.

At the consultation (yes, I've still got jitters from the last consultation) there was a little confusion toward the future of my chin. It's still pending whether they will do anything with my chin or not, and it's been "maybe", "we will bring it forward", "we will move it back". My poor heart, I don't think I can take it. It's less than two weeks before surgery, I don't want the chin thing to be decided to day of, the day before, or during surgery. I don't want to wake up with a chin I wasn't prepared for!
It's like the surgical hooks "more is good, but if not we'll get by" no, no, no... I just want a "YES genioplasy is necessary for an even appearance" or "NO it is not and you don't need it". No gray area, just a black or white answer.

jittery jittery jitters... aaaahh!! :P

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hard not to know what you're in for yet. Between a genio and setting your jaw back I can understand, but between 'we'll move it back' and 'we'll move it forward'?? Surely?

I didn't know if I was going to have my lower jaw set back as well, or a genio. I had different surgeons telling me different things... it was quite frustrating. In the end I woke up with my mandibular set back and maxillar brought forward. Which I'm happy with, my chin does look smaller and not at all like its aggressive former self..

I hope you know something soon. Nothing worse than being in the dark.

mylene

cookieyum said...

My impression when we met with the Dr.s was, no genioplasy unless they feel that it is needed after they look at your profile after they move the top jaw. They said they would do what they thought would be best. So I would plan on no genioplasy unless they feel like they need it for balace. Take a couple of deep breaths and do alittle yoga, it might help.

cookieyum said...

I co-worker is playing a country western radio station and there is a song on that has a lyric.
Every doubt, every worry, every fear, I'm right here. It made me think of you. I dont know the name of the song, but you are not alone in this. Mom.

Michelle said...

I usually don't mind the gray area, except when it comes to something like this!

I was in a similar situation with my surgery. My OS told me that he wouldn't know until we were in surgery whether I would be wired shut or not. He said it was completely dependent on my anatomy. So I had to go into surgery with that uncertainty. All I did was wish for the best and proceed. I guess that's what you're going to have to do, too.

Hey, I love the graphic btw. You should make a whole comic book out of this experience!!

:0)
M