Saturday, July 26, 2008

Home


Sorry if this post is short or misspelled, I'm very tired and dizzy. So, according to the docs, the surgery went well. it was somewhat easy to talk the first half day after surgery, but now it's very very hard. It feels like there is only enough room in my mouth for my tongue. My face is puffy, sore, and at the same time numb. And my nose is crusted with blood.

I think I was lucky with my roommate. She was my voice when I didn't have one. When I needed help, and pressed the nurse call, the voice would answer "Yes?" I'd answer the best I could, but all my groans for "yeah" (I need help) sounded like "nah". and the nurse dispatcher would hang up on me. I'd press again and get an annoyed "Hello?" and my roommate to the rescue would yell "Get someone in here she can't talk!" My roommate was spending her 7th day in the hospital. I think she was having some problems with her eye, and sickle cell anemia, and needed oxygen. She and my mom would talk, and it was nice to listen to the stories while I drifted in and out of consciousness. Like escaping from Hurricane Katrina, starting a new life here in SA, her and my mom talking about their own families and children.

Anyway, it was nice to have her as a neighbor. :)

My mental state: The best it can be at the moment, I'm trying to keep my sense of humor intact, but I've wanted to cry a lot (it's my way of getting stress out) but I'm too afraid I'd make myself more swollen. I also feel I need to be as strong as I can for my sister, who will eventually need the surgery, too, but who hasn't wanted it for several months now.

Well, getting tired, talk to you all later, thanks so much for all the wishes, they made a huge difference waking up after surgery.

Here's my first recovery pic:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sorry to read you're feeling down; but that's completely normal. I reckon you should cry if you need to, just let go. All the pre op anxiety needs to come out now. (My OS told me before the surgery that I would want to kill myself for about 3 days, and he was right...)
I'm quite indignant about the nurses hanging up on you because you couldn't talk though. Someone else said that; just as well you had a roommate.

Lots of love and good wishes

mylene

Michelle said...

I'm so glad to hear from you. I don't think I had enough energy to blog right after my surgery! It's perfectly normal to feel tired, dizzy, have nose bleeds, etc. Hopefully, you're getting plenty of rest! And I hope you're eating and getting plenty of fluids, too. Please take it easy these next few days, and welcome to the post-op side of the ortho world!

:0)
M

Jen said...

OMG! you look so cute! Hey... just think... you will only look like this once so enjoy the moment.

A Big hug to your room mate for keeping a eye on you. I only wish for the good natured person to be my room mate.

Aimee said...

Congratulations on having your surgery! You'll be back to your old (new) self in no time. :)

Valerie Phoenixfire said...

:: HUGS :: ♥